Chip Question

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Chip Question

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

And for the million dollar question....... AMD or Intel for gaming system

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Re: Chip Question

Post by huntor »

That question is getting harder and harder to answer every year. Intel has had problems trying to fabricate smaller chips. While AMD will be releasing the first 7 nm chip in July. Ryzen 3000 series chipsets are to offer more cores and a nice bump in mhrz this time around due to the 7 nm manufacturing process. They will also offer PCIe 4.0 out of the box, meaning 500 series chipsets motherboard to go with it (again sometime in July) And yes this is worth the wait if you are going to burn some cash on a new machine. It will save you some money on your electric bill too by using 30% less juice due to the die shrink.

Normally I would say Intel but with them still stuck on trying to get 10 nm working for the past 5 to 6 years. I can't recommend them anymore. But only if you compare the new AMD chip that is going to be released sometime in July.

Here is some light reading on this.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-r ... 38233.html
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Re: Chip Question

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

Yes Intel seems to be unable to break the 14 nm for some reason but also read that Intel can do more with less cores than AMD

I was leaning towards the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (12nm) @ 3.6 with a cost of 308.00

or

Intel i7-7800 X Series(4.0) or the i7-8700K(4.7) both at 14nm and the cost around 330.00- 350.00

I would hold out for the new AMD to come out which does sound awesome but the price may not be so awesome. Its definitely time for a new box for me, its pushing 10 years old if not more and has the first generation i7 in her. I can put a descent system together for around 1200.00

Thanks for your input Huntor

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away