Processor

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Processor

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

Anyone have thoughts about upgrading your Processor?

I have the 1st generation Intel i7 processor and found a deal offering the new Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4.2GHz LGA 1151 for 330.00 which seems like a unbelievable price.

My question is would my 4 year old motherboard be beneficial dropping in this new processor or should the motherboard be replaced as well

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Re: Processor

Post by huntor »

I would need the model number of your motherboard. The second part of this is that your motherboard will need a bios update to support such a new processor. Not all motherboards will get this update. If you do upgrade the motherboard I would get the newest 200 series chipset if your going to do it. But you would also be looking at new ram as I doubt you have ddr4. The other nice thing about the new boards is that they come with the m.2 socket which allow you to run m.2. Here is a link of one of them. This also runs kiinda high in price due to it being just released. I have a 950Pro.

Samsung 960Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820147596
Speeds for this hard drive are around 3500 MBps read and 2100 MBps write.
You will need a 200 series motherboard to get anywhere near this performance due to PCI-E lanes.
If you do get one of these hard drive/sticks form factor is important as they slide in and are only held down by one screw.

More motherboards will come out in the 200 series soon.
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

The Motherboard is a ASUS MAXIMUS III FORMULA and supports the Intel Core i7 Processors in the LGA1156 Package with the P55 chipset Dual-channel, DDR3 2133(O.C.) Support. I have 2 Scsi Hard Drives (10,000 RPM) at Raid O to unitize the Speeding HDD to enhance transfer rates and 16MB of Ram

Just as I assumed I would be salvaging the case, power supply, & Video card (which by the way is working perfectly) so basically at that point I just might as well go the whole 9 yards and completely build a new box and give the old one to one of my kids

Thanks for your input

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Ahh well right off the bat that board doesn't support the newest kaby lake. The new kaby lakes use socket 1151, as you said your motherboard has a socket 1156.

Good old RAID. With these new drives raiding isn't worth it anymore.