Building a new gaming PC

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Building a new gaming PC

Post by The Texican-PG- »

Mainly using PC for gaming and some business stuff (word processor, d/l files), but that's about it.

Any suggestions on what motherboard and/or video card that will be able to handle DFX2 BO????

Looking at Intel i5 7600k processor and not sure what motherboard to go with or video card.

I want to try a Solid State Hard Drive but not sure what brand is most reliable.
“If you ain't dyin', we probably need to put more fog in the map”
― The Texican-PG-
Windstalker-PG-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Building a new gaming PC

Post by Windstalker-PG- »

GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel

Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80671I76800K Desktop Processor

Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 2.5" 1TB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDRE1TB

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6276-KR, 8GB GDDR5, RGB LED, 10CM FAN, 10 Power Phases, Double BIO
When you hear the Wind.. You're already dead
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

If you can hold off a little bit you will have a second option of looking at AMD as well. They are releasing a new processor around March 2nd that is supposed to compete against these Kaby Lake processors. Some reviews are showing it beating out the Intel processors for the first time in 10 years. They are usually cheaper as well.

Also depending on the motherboard you can either get a sata or m.2 drive. The m.2 is much faster as it uses the pci-e just like your video card would. Sata is limited to about 600mb/s where m.2 can do gb in speed.

Samsung has been a leader in the ssd market. But they are little more money too.

Depending on the size you need does depend on the price.

Prices from newegg

512gb
Samsung 850 pro ssd sata 512gb is $229 Max Read 550 Write 510 MBps
Samsung 960 pro ssd m.2 512gb NVMe is $329.99 Max Read 3500 MBps Write 2100 MBps

256gb
Samsung 850 pro 256gb sata $129.99
Samsung 950 pro 256gb m.2 $309.75 (the 960 for 20 more is better deal and is bigger)

As you can see the m.2 cost more but you also get more speed from it. Real world processors are not fast enough to see all that speed. I have a Samsung 950 pro ssd m.2 and it is faster than my old ssd drive.
M.2 also requires PCI-e 3.0 slots or higher for full speed.

As far as boards you want one that has the Intel 200 series chipset. This was just recently released.
I believe the Z series is the most capable chipset.

Here is a link with the filter set to LGA 1151 for socket and Z270 chipset defaulted.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... 0601276224

Video cards I have a 1070 but a 1060 would be okay too. Do not get the 900 series. I ran into a lot of overheating issues with them. Reddog has the only card I got in the 900 series that works well with dfx2.

Gigabyte makes a great video card. My only complaint is it does have some coil whine. But my case is far enough away that I don't notice it much.

Here is my card.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6814125871

Like I said wait until the AMD launch and see what they have to say when compairing the Intel vs AMD.
Then compare price vs performance.

The AMD processors are using the same hyper threading technique that Intel uses with this precessor. So a 6 core processor is really 12!!!!
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NQCHbj

Here's my build so far...... just ideas. How many fans will I need? Is this a good processor for gaming..... do components match up?..... going with a full tower case...... these questions and more need to be answered.

Tex
― The Texican-PG-
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

First off try to stay away from skylake processors. Just type in google (skylake problems) and you will see what I mean. They do have a bug that will cause the system to hang. You want a Kaby Lake processor if giong intel.

I7-7700k 4.2Ghz with Turbo of 4.5Ghz Does cost a little more.

The power supply you picked WILL NOT work for you. You need one that supports two 4pin 12 volt rails or 1 8 pin rail connector and 24 pin main connector. If you go to newegg and blow the image up on top left corner you will see ATX_12V_2x4. Which is 8 pins.

The second problem with the power supply is that it only has 6 pin connectors for PCI-E.
The video card you picked is an 8 pin connector. It does have a converter to use two 6 pins to make the 8 pin connector but it is best to have a power supply that supports the 8 pin.

The case you picked already comes with all fans needed.

The fan controller is cool.
I am not sure if all of them will reach to the front of the case. You may need to get a 3 pin extender cable or just run the back fan off the board.

Really a wireless card???? Wired is always better ;-)

Outside of the stuff I posted above. It looks good Tex. Make sure you get a power supply that has two 12 volt rails or an 8 pin connector.
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Thanks, I value your opinion.
― The Texican-PG-
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Rosewill 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817182322

This look any better for a PSU?
― The Texican-PG-
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Yes at first I seen single 12v rail but looking further down this is the connectors it has.
You need the 4+4 which is the 8 pin power connector at top on the motherboard.
Also it has the 6+2 PCI-E connector for your 8 pin video card or any other combination of video card you buy will use either 6 or 8 pins.

Modular Cable :
1 x 20+4-Pin Main Connector
1 x 4+4-Pin ATX12V/EPS12V Connector
4 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E Connector
8 x 5-Pin SATA Connector
4 x 4-Pin Peripheral Connector
1 x 4-Pin Floppy Connector