MB Question

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

MB Question

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

I have a ASUS Maximus Formula III MB that is set up for the speeding HDD configuration using 2 SCSI 10,000 rpm hard drives that are 500 GB each. I have a SSD drive that I want to put into use on this board. I no longer want to use the speeding HDD. I want to use the SSD for the primary drive with the other 2 SCSI drives . My question is do I need to set the SCSI drives as slaves or does the MB automatically configure. I want it to be:

C:/ (SSD Drive 240 GB)
D:/ (SCSI#1 Drive 500GB)
E:/ (SCSI#2 Drive 500GB)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Re: MB Question

Post by huntor »

It looks like you would go into the bios settings for Speeding HDD Mode and you would change this to Normal Mode. This will make the SATA connection a normal connection from what I can tell. I haven't had to set an jumpers in years to make them slave. Usually done in the bios. When undoing this you may lose data on both drives. To me this feature sounds like raid where it stores data on to both drives and doesn't mirror each other. Basically one drive can't live without the other. But from your post above. It sounds like you want to move to using an SSD for your main drive and the other two separate anyways.

I would suggest when installing the OS. That it be a clean install on your SSD. Make sure you turn off the power to the other two drives by unplugging them. Once the OS is installed. Then hook your other two drives up. This way your bios should recognize the SSD as the boot drive. If it changes you will need to go into the bios and change the boot priority in the bios.
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
What Did They Say?????

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are willing to work and give to those who would not.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oliver.holmes.357
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

Yes Huntor that is correct, one drive cannot live without the other, Raid 0, a push pull thing. The SCSI drives are plugged into the speeding HDD sockets. I figured I unplug the drives from those sockets and connect them to the normal SATA sockets. I was planning on doing a fresh install on the SSD drive but did not think of connecting the SCIS until after I got the SSD drive up and running (nice tip). I will also wipe the SCSI drives clean before I reconfigure the drive arrangement. I have a 750 watt power supply and hopefully there are enough power connectors for all the drives, I only need 1 more. I use to have 2 GTX 250's in SLI mode so maybe there might be some kind of adapter if there is not enough power connectors. I know this computer is reaching its life's end and may not be the fastest as she was in her day, but she is solid and with breathing a bit of new life into her like the video card I bought from you she should make it to a very respectful old age. She has the first i7 chip and 12 GB of memory, this SSD drive will be the last breath of new life before she gets decommissioned in the near future.

I found this SSD in the recycling bin and verified that it does work. I had my server box configured for a month with this drive but figure it was a waste and could be better utilize it in my main rig. Even thou each SCSI is 500GB its only recognized as 1 drive, total of 500GB and with these massive new games on Steam, I ran out of room and I'm talking only 2 or 3 games that I have installed besides DFX2/JO. I have to uninstall a game or 2 to add a new one and I want to get the new Call of Duty WWII and reinstall some of the others that I use to play. 500GB doesn't go very far these days, I do have a 1TB laying around but its 7200 rpm and I think the 10,000 SCIS would be faster.

Thanks for you thoughts

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by The Texican-PG- »

If it doesn't work..... put it in the oven like BUCK did. LoL
“If you ain't dyin', we probably need to put more fog in the map”
― The Texican-PG-
BLAZIN GUNS-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by BLAZIN GUNS-PG- »

The Texican-PG- wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:16 pm If it doesn't work..... put it in the oven like BUCK did. LoL
400 degrees F 20 min :lol:
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I never knew that was an option, does that format the drive? Ill try that if all else fails :D

huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

I used a heat gun on my uncles PS3 back in the day when it stopped working. It worked long enough to get the cd out of the drive. When we turned it off and back on again it died again. Kinda funny if done right you can bring back to life a board that has bad solder connections.
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

O-key-Dokely....I got the drives in and everything is working perfectly :D

Now, besides the OS what else would be recommended to keep on the SSD drive?

I assume all games, pics, & music on the other drives

huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Well depending on how big the games are. I would put them on the SSD too. Basically the stuff you use the most should go on there and if it is time sensitive like loading times. Pics, and Music other drives. Maybe only favorite games on SSD if you don't have enough room.