phpBB 3.3 Requirement Change

Any comments, issues or suggestions regarding our website should be posted here.
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

phpBB 3.3 Requirement Change

Post by huntor »

Well it looks like the requirements to upgrade phpBB 3.2 to 3.3 will require running a higher version of PHP.

Currently your site runs on php version 5.6.40.

New version
phpBB 3.3 will require an upgrade to php 7.1+ or higher as minimum.

Current version
phpBB 3.2 and older versions required PHP 5.4.7+ as minimum.

So the real question is..... what does this mean?

The reason we stuck with php 5.6.40 is because it is the latest version that supports running babstats old scripts. Anything newer will break and not function due to deprecated libraries.

The second reason is that phpBB 3.0 and higher has went through many iterations to clean up code to get it ready for newer versions of php due to the deprecation of functions. Like the old style mysql scripting.

I believe TheEYE aka Dennis had updated the php script outside of phpBB to work with the newer format of mysql database. So I think we are okay there. However I am not sure about any versions newer than 7.0. I would recommend upgrading to php version 7.3 if possible as 7.4 was just released.

The downfall of this is that you will not be able to run stats naively on your website when you guys used to upload them from your home servers on the weekend. We might be able to setup a workaround for that if you still want to do that. We can setup a sub domain that still uses the old php and the main website uses the latest php 7+ version.

This is similar to how I have your stats setup on the two links on the main site for stats. http://gameapps.primetechhosting.com/PGStatsPlain/
gameapps.primetechhosting.com is a sub domain of primetechhosting.com the gameapps runs on php 5.6 and primetechhosting.com runs on 7.3.
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: phpBB 3.3 Requirement Change

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

If we need to make the changes, then we should do it. I don't host that much anymore so losing the stats on my server is not a problem.
You know better than anyone what we should do so, GO FOR IT!! 8-)

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are willing to work and give to those who would not.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oliver.holmes.357
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Testing with PHP 7.3.13. Wooo Hoooo does it work?
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

Works For Me!! :D

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are willing to work and give to those who would not.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oliver.holmes.357
viiper

Post by viiper »

If you can set up my weekend server with stats, let me know. I know we tried (you tried) last year and had issues. Just let me know ahead of time and I will let you know when I'm available to help out.

These guys love their stats. But will the stats be populated from other servers as well? I know that was an issue before.

viiper
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Well this site has been upgraded to 7.3 which is no longer compatible with the stats software. It has to run on php 5.6 or lower. I believe we can setup a subdomain like clanstats.pgsquad.com or something like that and the web server will point at the php 5.6 version when ever you use the clanstats subdomain. I wouldn't recommend mixing the server stats with the coop stats. They merge the overall stats and would never represent weekend games. Coop is totally way easier to pad your stats over general stats. I think that is what I mean when I talked about it. I thought we did have your stats working on your server?
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

I have moved the old clanstats site over to a new folder that servers as a subdomain and php 5.6.

http://clanstats.pgsquad.com/
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by The Texican-PG- »

I, for one, don't care anything about stats on Weekend Games and not very much on the other servers. To me, as a Server Monitor, it causes nothing but headaches from the Stat Hogs that show up. But I guess that's what draws the players into the server.
“If you ain't dyin', we probably need to put more fog in the map”
― The Texican-PG-
viiper

Post by viiper »

huntor wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:55 pm Well this site has been upgraded to 7.3 which is no longer compatible with the stats software. It has to run on php 5.6 or lower. I believe we can setup a subdomain like clanstats.pgsquad.com or something like that and the web server will point at the php 5.6 version when ever you use the clanstats subdomain. I wouldn't recommend mixing the server stats with the coop stats. They merge the overall stats and would never represent weekend games. Coop is totally way easier to pad your stats over general stats. I think that is what I mean when I talked about it. I thought we did have your stats working on your server?
No, you tried but had issues. We gave up about 2am one morning.
viiper

Post by viiper »

No tex, you are there to ban people from saying poo and ding a ling :)