SSD Drive advice

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
viiper

SSD Drive advice

Post by viiper »

I'm looking for a good, reliable SSD drive to upgrade my system.

Do any of you have any past expeience with a reliable hard drive?

Thanks in advance!

viiper
blueleader2-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Re: SSD Drive advice

Post by blueleader2-PG- »

viiper,

I've been running an SSD in my game machine for about a year and a half and have had no problems with it. It's a Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2. There is very little data on it; basically just running the operating system from the drive. Majority of data, including Nova games, is on a terabyte storage drive. The software I use to monitor temps also monitors drive health and shows no degradation in the drive after 18 month's use. I've always been a fan of Crucial memory, thus the Crucial SSD. User comments also are very high. There is, however, an install process you need to follow when upgrading from a sata drive to an SSD in Win 7; can't just clone the sata and pop in the SSD. I used the install process at the following link and the result was flawless; http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-m ... ate-drive/. May seem like a pain in the butt, but actually went pretty quickly with no glitches. I believe the process is the same for Win XP.

Hopes this helps.

blue
viiper

Post by viiper »

Thanks Blue!

I always do a complete nuke & wipe when I reinstall an OS. This time will be no different. I went with the Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD. Price was good and the reviews were excellent. I read this post at the store, but they were currently out of that specific ssd.

I will be installing this one tomorrow morning after work. I will be nuking the 1 TB HDD i use now for my boot drive as a backup/storage data drive.
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Intel ones are prob the best but cost more $$$$. I have a mushkin ssd and I love the thing. I have a mushkin chronos 256gb drive. I have also had crucial. The only main issue with theres is the updater is very flaky. The first one crashed on update. The second one took over a year before it failed. I have been on this mushkin for two years now.