Firefox

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
Windstalker-PG-
Administrator
Administrator

Firefox

Post by Windstalker-PG- »

Recently my firefox has been acting strange - whenever I click anywhere on a page, a new tab opens to various other sites... usually want me to take a poll, or telling me there is a problem with my windows. I have run a number of different AV scans (AntiMalwarebytes, McAffee etc.), gotten rid of various PUP's. I have also uninstalled firefox, deleted all mozilla folders and reinstalled, but it still happens... thoughts?

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
When you hear the Wind.. You're already dead
blueleader2-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Re: Firefox

Post by blueleader2-PG- »

Win,

Sounds like some sort of re-director has embedded itself in the Firefox config file. You can look through the config file to try to identify the culprit or you can reset Firefox to it's default settings. Deleting and re-installing does not necessarily reset Firefox to defaults. There are Firefox folders/files in more than one place in Windows. For instance, cache files are in the AppData folder for each user. If you choose to look through the config file, anything that has changed from default settings will be in bold text. You can reset any of the changed data to default by right clicking and choosing "reset" from the drop down menu. Access the config file by typing/copying about:config in the Firefox address bar and press enter. To reset Firefox, follow the steps in the following link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... ault-state.

I've had similar things happen in Firefox; usually a result of installing free software which often has this junkware attached to it. I'm surprised that Malwarebytes didn't find the problem. That's always been my go-to program for this type of issue. I finally bought annual subscriptions for the pro version which has real time monitoring; stops all this junk in it's tracks.

Let me know if you try the above and if it worked for you.

blue