Ethernet Card

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Ethernet Card

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

I got my Fiber Optic line installed and the speeds are 1 gig down and 1 gig up and the service man showed me on his equipment device that I was indeed getting those speeds. However, he claims that I would not get the same results from a speed test due to their limitations and that I would need to get a new Ethernet Card. He said that that the standard 802.11 G/B/N cards are not capable to handle those speeds and that the top out around 600 to 700 Mbps. I don't really know if this is true or not but he also did not say which type of card I should get. He basically dummied up and said he was not sure but he thought it was a AC card what ever that is.

My question is does any one know of a good Ethernet Card that is capable of handling this type of speed?

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Re: Ethernet Card

Post by huntor »

Yes he is telling you the truth. If you are using wifi to connect to your PC. The G/B/N standard cards are not fast enough to give you full internet speeds for 1g. An AC card works with two radios. One at 5ghz and one at 2.4. With them tandem-ed they give you the 1g max speed on your system or at least close to. You also need a router that has AC support as well. They do make some usb options. I hope your motherboard has usb 3.0 on it. As you will get better performance out of it.

This is fairly cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833166104

Remember the speeds you are going to see will depend on your ISP and the router you are connecting to and the distance from your router. The 5.0 ghz gives you faster speeds. But the range sucks. The 2.4 gives you more range but speed is slower. So if you connect your laptop/pc on both bands on the card. Should be better than what you currently have now.

5 Ghz max speed is 867Mbps
2.5 Ghz max speed is 300Mbps.

This is why he told you if you want the full speed. You will need to get AC wireless technology.
Most people these days have wireless N. Which can go from 300 to 900 Mbps. But 95% of people that have N capabilities normally have a 300 Mbps speed for there wireless card and router due to price as the 900 was three times the cost.

If you get this one you will want to download the driver from the website. Guess the cd one doesn't work correctly ;-)
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Re: Ethernet Card

Post by huntor »

This would fix your kids pcs not going that fast. If you are directly wired then it could be that your network card is not updated with latest drivers. Or the test website you are using isn't as fast as your connection.