Desktop

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
Windstalker-PG-
Administrator
Administrator

Desktop

Post by Windstalker-PG- »

I am pondering getting a new computer. The laptop I want is about $2800, to rich for me right now. I was thinking about building my own desktop, which by pricing out the components, I can do for about 1/2 the price, but I am very nervous about it. Has anybody had the experience of building their own PC? every time i read the reviews about motherboards, CPU's, video cards and compatibilities, I get scared. Plus there is the issue of warranties.
When you hear the Wind.. You're already dead
HotStick

Re: Desktop

Post by HotStick »

Wind,

It really is plug and play (if you have all of the right components). I have several magazines (Maximum PC and others) that show you a step by step on building your own modern computer. If you need help I am sure there is more than one of us that would be happy to step through it with you. As far as the warranties go, if you buy your components from a reputable source, they should be warranteed for a specific period of time, anyway. Most electronics will fail during the "burn in" period ... easily the first 60 -100 hours of use. After that it is simply an RMA from the seller or manufacturer to get a replacement. I have built more PC's than I care to say, and they all have their little idiosyncracies, but I was never "not" able to make one work. (all with a second grade education :roll: :D ). Let me know if you want to do it. It makes you feel real gooood when you turn it on knowing that you just saved 700-1200 $$$$$.

HotStick-PG-
HotStick-PG-
JUST-DIE

Post by JUST-DIE »

i used to own a computer store for 6 years and built 100's of pc's. once you have everything, it will only take you an hour. to put it together, saying an hour because you never have assembled one before. it will take you longer to install the operating system on a new hard drive then to build it. they are pretty straight forward when connecting everything. that hardest thing id just figuring out which hardware and periphials you want to buy. if you have any questions feel free to ask and i'll help any way i can.
Country Joe-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Country Joe-PG- »

Wind,

Here's my 2 cents worth.

First, grab Huntor and ask for his advice on what parts to buy. It was the first thing I did and was invaluable.
Second, visit this site just to get an idea on how to assemble a computer:
http://mysuperpc.com/

Also visit Amazon, Newegg, and Tiger Direct. They have some great tutorials and you can see what parts actually cost. What processors go with which mother board, etc....

Third, if you're uncomfortable spending say, $1000 and doing it yourself, find someone you trust who has built computers for the use you plan for your computer and spend some time with him/her.
I did this and it was very enlightening. He charged me $200 and allowed me to watch, or participate if I wanted, in everything.

Fourth, once you've decided on what kind of machine you're building, in my case it was for gaming, spend as much as you can afford. That doesn't mean getting the latest and greatest either. My budget was 1500 dollars. I came in at $1400 and took my builder and his wife out, a week later, to dinner as a thank you. $100.......priceless.

Fifth, build it with upgradability in mind. Also, get a case big enough you can get your hands into.

Sixth, and this is the most important, don't listen to the folks who will second guess your cost and tell you they could have built it for less. You make the best deal you can at the time.

I had a very rewarding experience even though I didn't do everything myself. It was well worth the $200 dollars to have the expertise my first time. I'll never buy another computer from a store or computer company and now that I've actually seen it up close and personal I feel comfortable enough to do it myself.

Best of luck,
CJ
Last edited by Country Joe-PG- on Fri May 13, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Yeah it is really easy to do. Most things can only plug in certain ways. Just never force anything together ;-).

New processors are coming out in June if you can wait that long. That is if you are going to go the AMD way. Intel I am not sure of there release dates.
TAR1

Post by TAR1 »

Hey Wind ,I built my computer and if I can do it anyone can!LOL :o :o :o :o