New Map Testing Tip

This Section Provides Advice and Assistance For MapMakers.
Country Joe-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

New Map Testing Tip

Post by Country Joe-PG- »

This tip was suggested to me by Windstalker-PG- way back in the DFX days.
Once your new map is ready for testing, go back into the Mission Editor and
select all of the Enemy AI's. Open up their attributes and set their accuracy settings to 1%.

Doing this allows you, in the single player mode, to actually see how your Enemy AI's will react
during the map. It will also allow you to see how the WAC scripting and wave files work.
Allow the enemy to kill you, or kill yourself, at every Objective area as well. This checks the re-spawn
points.

I test a new map several timies prior to sending it in for upload to the server. During one of the tests I try and
play the map as a new Co-Op player would. Running everywhere, skipping ahead, etc...
This double checks the event or group stacking I do to prevent players from triggering future
Objectives prematurely.

If all works well, go back and reset all of the Enemy AI's to what ever accuracy levels you decide on, set
the map to Co-Op play, and send your map in for upload to the server.

During the first run through on the server I recommend lagging behind the players to see if your map is
self explanatory. Hopefully you won't have to tell the players where to go or what the Objectives are. That's
what the WAC file and the "G" key are for.

More often that not you'll still miss something so it's a good idea to have a pad and pencil handy during the
first run through to take notes with.

Best of luck.
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Map Testing Tip

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

Great Advice, Joe. :D

It's very frustrating and somewhat embarrassing to get your map on the server and have something go wrong with it. Testing the map as Joe laid out goes a long ways in preventing this from happening. This is why we will break into the rotation cycle to play the new map when the map maker is in the server so he has a chance to observe how it plays and get input from the other players. Most of the time a few minor tweaks will be needed to get the map to perform as the map maker intended.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are willing to work and give to those who would not.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oliver.holmes.357
TAR1

Post by TAR1 »

This is so true!I find others input very helpfull in fixing problems!Thanks to Bubba and Joe for thier help and wisdom in map making.TAR!
HotStick

Post by HotStick »

So does this mean that you are going to stack your objectives, and put the spawn points in order at the very last from now on, Tar...????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (just kidding, as a novice I have no room to talk)

HotStick-PG
HotStick-PG-
TAR1

Post by TAR1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: