Weird thing with wireless card

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
Country Joe-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Weird thing with wireless card

Post by Country Joe-PG- »

My wife's desktop computer has had an issue for a couple of weeks. Periodically, she'd get the blue screen of death
shortly after starting her computer.
I couldn't pin point the problem until a few days ago.
She started her computer up Sunday morning and her wireless card couldn't connect to our network even though her
netbook, which was sitting directly in front of her desktop, was connected to our network.

I did the usual things, opened her tower up and cleaned it. Then, uninstalled/reinstalled the wireless card.
After the restart the tower began to make a buzzing sound and her wireless card still wouldn't connect so I shut it down.

After another card uninstall, I moved the wireless card to another slot and reinstalled the card.

Been working fine now for almost a week.

Weird!
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Re: Weird thing with wireless card

Post by huntor »

Sounds almost like an irq conflict. Used to be common back in the old days.
Country Joe-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

I wasn't sure if that was the problem or not but I found an MS Tech Support posting where someone else
had an IRQ conflict that sounded similar to my situation so I did what they did.

Moved the card to a different slot. :o

The card is a Linksys and has been in her machine for about 4 years without any problems.
The computer was built in 2005 by Dell. It's an XPS 400 with Win XP Home Edition.

I had never seen or heard of this happeneing is why I shared.

Who knows, it may only be a short term fix.
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Did you add anything else that is hardware bound to the machine? Like a flash drive you leave in all the time?
Or maybe a card reader or something like that. It is odd that the problem did not surface up sooner as if it was an IRQ issue it would have been an issue the whole time unless other hardware was added.
Country Joe-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

No premanent flash drive or any other new hardware has been added in a least a year.

The only things that stay plugged in are her Monitor, keyboard, and a Dell PDA that plug in via USB's to the
back of her machine as well as her wireless mouse dongle that stays plugged into the front of her machine via a usb port.