Kentucky Barbecue Cups

Got Some Favorite BBQ Recipes You Want To Share With The Rest Of Us Or Some Hunting Or Fishing Stories You Want To Share? This Is The Place To Do It!!

Moderator: Country Joe-PG-

HotStick

Kentucky Barbecue Cups

Post by HotStick »

Here is a recipe that my wife Chris-Lynn makes that is a family favorite. It originates from the 1988 Kentucky Historcal Society Cookbook. I described it to a few of the regular players, and they asked that I post it here. It is definItely "comfort" food. They go fast, and refrigerate or freeze well for leftovers...

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef (we use lean 99% fat free ground turkey to reduce the fat)
1 small onion chopped (CL uses 1/4 cup dried onion as a substitute)
1/2 cup barbeque sauce (our favorite is KC Masterpiece)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 - 8 to 10 count cans of buttermilk refrigerated biscuit dough (any dough will do, we like Pillsbury Grands)
1 cup (or more to taste) grated cheddar cheese (or any other tasty cheese on hand, we like horseradish cheese)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
In a pan, brown the ground beef (or turkey) and onion. Drain. Then add brown sugar and BBQ sauce and stir well. Grease your muffin tins. Flatten each biscuit with your hand and then place each one in a muffin tin and fit around the bottom and side of the tin until it forms a cup just slightly taller than the tin. Fill each cup with the meat mixture. Add the grated cheese to the top of each cup. Bake in the pre-heated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until biscuit dough is golden brown. (If you have empty tins, put a small amount of water in each to maintain even temperature across the tins.)

They last for a week in the fridge, and microwave back to hot in less than 3 minutes. They last at least a month on the freezer, thaw before use if you freeze them.

As an added treat if CL has any dough left, she fills the remaing cups with semi-sweet chocolate morsels, and dusts the tops with powdered suger while they cool... makes a great desert.

ENJOY!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
HotStick-PG-