Computer won't connect to the modem

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
blueleader2-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Re: Computer won't connect to the modem

Post by blueleader2-PG- »

Bubba

One additional item to check:

Go to Start, Run, type devmgmt.msc, OK. From tool bar, click on View, click Show hidden devices. Under Non-Plug and Play Drivers, double click on AFD. Click on Driver tab. Make sure the Current Status shows "started" and the Startup type is set to "system". Also, while in this view, check for any drivers showing "trouble". If this check proves OK, the only other thing, as far as registry is concerned, is to delete the Winsock keys and let windows generate new ones on restart.

If I am correct, you said that this PC previously connected, via wireless, to your current modem/router with no problem. I assume via a USB wireless network adapter. Is the software/driver for the adapter still on the PC? Also, are you getting errors in Event Viewer related to the failure to connect to the DHCP server?

Also, have you tried to manually assign an IP address to the network adapter? You should be able to, I think, assign a static IP while using DHCP as long as the IP is beyond the range available to the DHCP server.

Other than this, I would try the NIC card in another PC to rule it out as the problem.

blue
HotStick

Post by HotStick »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, Blue.... anything else that you want him to try...? spinning a plate while whistling Dixie, on one foot...?

(kidding)

HotStick-PG-
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

If I am correct, you said that this PC previously connected, via wireless,
I used to have all 4 of the computers in my media room connected (hard-wired) to a Linksys E2000 Wireless Router . . . including the problem computer that I used to game on. I also had 2 laptops and another PC 2 rooms away connected wireless. The ISP furnished their modem but it was not wireless . . . that's why I used a wireless router.

About 6 months ago I upped by connection speed to 60 mbps and the ISP gave me a new wireless modem/router. I was able to hard-wire everything to it and got wireless for both my laptops but the wireless signal was too weak to reach the PC that was 2 rooms away. The ISP tech suggested we disconnect one of the 4 computers, which happened to be the old gaming computer (the problem one) and plug the Linksys router into one of the ports. There's only 4 ports. It worked . . . I was able to connect the other PC. However, when I changed out the PCI Ethernet adapter in the problem computer to a wireless card (Netgear WG311), I was never able to connect with it. I got tired of messing with it and just moved on.

Eventually we got to the point where we never used the PC 2 rooms away so I decided to disconnect the Linksys router, reinstalled the Netgear GA311 Ethernet card that had originally been in that computer (the problem one) and connected it to the new modem/router.

It never has connected.

Thanks for your input, blueleader. I'll give your suggestion a try.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are willing to work and give to those who would not.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oliver.holmes.357
blueleader2-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

HotStick-PG- wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, Blue.... anything else that you want him to try...? spinning a plate while whistling Dixie, on one foot...?

(kidding)

OMG, Hot, don't sell our Leader short. With one hand inside that XP box and while spinning that plate and whistling, I bet he could also remove the fog from all the maps! Fewer deaths = better ratios!

Just kidding ..... sort of.

Seriously, though, just trying to rule things out. It's possible Bubba may have hit on something in his last post. That Netgear WG311 has a pretty bad rep regarding driver issues and, in general, wreaking havoc on XP machines. It's possible that the uninstall is incomplete and something remained and is affecting the current network software. Who knows. You, among all of us, understand how difficult, and frustrating, this type of problem can be. I'm not trying to wear out our Leader; just a dog with a bone at the moment. Bubba is probably pretty close to taking the bone away; probably an assisted suicide, since the one-story leap didn't produce the desired effect.

blue
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

Make sure the Current Status shows "started" and the Startup type is set to "system". Also, while in this view, check for any drivers showing "trouble".
Started and System show up. No drivers showing "trouble".

I am showing all this in "Network Adapters" following the route you gave me.
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #2 (shows yellow ! left of name.
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Direct Parallel
D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev.B) - Packet Scheduler Miniport (CAN NOT UNINSTALL FROM THIS WINDOW)
NetGear GA311 Gigabit Adapter
NetGear GA311 Gigabit Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
NetGear GA311 Gigabit Adapter #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
NetGear GA311 Gigabit Adapter #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
NetGear WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport (CAN NOT UNINSTALL FROM THIS WINDOW)
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)

delete the Winsock keys and let windows generate new ones on restart
I don't know how to do this.
manually assign an IP address to the network adapter
I don't know how to do this either.
I would try the NIC card in another PC to rule it out as the problem.
I'm not sure I want to do this. The other PC is used as a server and has a D-Link NIC card in it. I don't want to screw that one up also.

~ Thomas Jefferson

blueleader2-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Bubbachuk-PG- wrote:
Make sure the Current Status shows "started" and the Startup type is set to "system". Also, while in this view, check for any drivers showing "trouble".
Started and System show up. No drivers showing "trouble".

I am showing all this in "Network Adapters" following the route you gave me.
Direct Parallel
D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev.B) - Packet Scheduler Miniport (CAN NOT UNINSTALL FROM THIS WINDOW)
NetGear GA311 Gigabit Adapter
NetGear GA311 Gigabit Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
NetGear GA311 Gigabit Adapter #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
NetGear GA311 Gigabit Adapter #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
NetGear WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport (CAN NOT UNINSTALL FROM THIS WINDOW)
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)

Bubba,

It might be best to clean up these network connection entries before anything else.

The yellow exclamation on the Broadcom adapter usually indicates a driver problem. We'll uninstall this and a few other entries. You'll need to open up a different view of device manager to remove some of the entries.

Go to Start, Run, type cmd, click OK. In the cmd window type (or copy/paste)

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, press enter

In same window, at next prompt type (or copy/paste)

start devmgmt.msc, press enter

Device Manager will open. From View menu, click Show hidden devices. Expand Network adapters and, for the time being, uninstall the following entries:

Below the menu bar there is an icon for "Scan for hardware changes". Click the icon. After the short scan completes, check the Network adapter folder to see if all the entries you deleted are gone. Restart the PC, Windows should find the Broadcom adapter and reinstall it.

Let me know if the PC refuses to cooperate with any of the above actions. If all goes smooth, see if you can get a network connection from either the Broadcom or NetGear adapter.

Let me know.
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

I give up . . . :roll:

I've done everything and it's still not working. I even went out and bought a new Linksys card and the computer won't even recognize it. I reinstalled the NETEAR card and software and the computer recognized it but it's still doing the same thing.

I need a drink . . . a REALLY, REALLY big drink! ;)

~ Thomas Jefferson

huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

New computer!!!!!!!!!!! It is the computer gods saying give him back to us or else!
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

I just got a new computer!! This old thing was the computer I gamed on before I got the new one. I just want to get it to where I can get on the Internet so I can use it as a server. ;)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

Reformat........................ :geek:

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away