Windows 10

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Windows 10

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

I recieved a notice from Microsoft today stating that I am eligable for a free upgrade to Windows on July 29th.

Does anyone have an opinion of Windows 10 compared to Windows 7 Pro?

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

I'm getting the same thing. It put a little icon on my task bar I can't get rid of.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are willing to work and give to those who would not.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oliver.holmes.357
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

Yeppers..............Kind of strange. I hope it goes away on 7/29

Handle every stressful situation like a Dog....if you can't eat, hump it, or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... indows-10/

I wonder what happens if you need to do a re-install

To turn the task bar notification off:
Click “Customize” in the System Tray and turn off the Get Windows 10 app notifications in the menu that comes up.

huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Windows 10 does have a similar look to windows 7. However I am not a big fan of the windows upgrade. Just for the fact your install goes belly up. At least with windows vista and 7. You had to have an older version of the OS installed and genuine in order to install the newest version. Otherwise it will keep complaining about not having the correct CD key, looking for a full install key. Now if they provide a version you can install directly without having an old OS installed first. Then I am all for the windows 10 upgrade. But likely from the past it will look for genuine old OS first.

Updated***

Well this answers my question http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/01/every ... indows-10/

You must have windows 7 sp1 installed or upgraded your windows 8.1 in order to upgrade to windows 10. Guess I will be buying the full version as it will save me 90 billion ours if I ever have to re-install.
Country Joe-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Country Joe-PG- »

Red Dog-PG- wrote: To turn the task bar notification off:
Click “Customize” in the System Tray and turn off the Get Windows 10 app notifications in the menu that comes up.
It popped up on my Win 8.1 laptop as well. DOH!

Thanks for the tip to turn it off RD! :mrgreen:
Country Joe-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Additionally, one of the Optional WIN 7 SP 1 and Win 8.1 updates I asked about in another post was to allow Mircosoft to better help me evaluate and install updates back in May.

On my 8.1 machine, in June, Microsoft changed it from OPTIONAL to IMPORTANT. LOL
An oversight on my part that lead to the update being installed on my 8.1 machine but not my Win 7 SP 1 Machine.

I'm sure MS will make it an IMPORTANT update on WIN 7 in the near future. LMAO
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

;-)
Country Joe-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Red Dog-PG- wrote: To turn the task bar notification off:
Dag nabit. I did what you said RD to turn it off. Then a day later, dag nab it, it turned it's self back on.

It turned back on my Win 8.1 laptop and on my wife's Win 7 work computer. I can't get rid of it on either computer.

DAG NABIT

I read that the upgrade is only offered for a limited time so I'm hoping it will go away around the end of July when Win 10 free upgrade expires.

:o :shock: :? :?:
Red Dog-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Post by Red Dog-PG- »

Worked for me
You choose Hide Icon & Notifications?