Speed test

Computer Issues? Game Issues? Hardware/Software Questions. Post them here and our resident Computer Geek will try to help you.
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Speed test

Post by The Texican-PG- »

What could be causing one speed test (Tulsa to San Diego, and then Tulsa to Providence, RI) to 7mbs download on one test and the next 174mbs? I've been experiencing crappy connections to the weekend games and I'm trying to find out what the issue might be. Thinking of upgrading routers since we've had this one for several years now. First tests were crapping and 2nd was ok. We are paying for 200mbs download and 10mbs upload. Ping has been in the 40-55ms range. Any way to test the router?
“If you ain't dyin', we probably need to put more fog in the map”
― The Texican-PG-
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Re: Speed test

Failed to mention on first test I got an unknown error and it wouldn't connect, retry and I got a "socket error" and test was also a failure. Then got the 7mbs result.
― The Texican-PG-
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

And, yes viiper I have unplugged the router for 30 seconds and reconnected at the 30 second mark.
― The Texican-PG-
Bubbachuk-PG-
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bubbachuk-PG- »

My cable company put in a newer model router/modem about a year ago, I forget the brand name but I couldn't get it to open ports so I could host games. I must have had the techs out here a dozen times before they finally gave up and said there was nothing they could do.
I disconnected their router and hooked up and old Cisco router I'd had for at least 10 years and was able to open ports so I could host but it couldn't handle the speed. I was getting 30-40 mbps of the 100 mbps I was paying for.
I bought a new Linksys WRT32X Gaming Router and have not had a problem since. I don't remember how much I paid for it but I know it was way less than $100. It's very simple to install and to work with. It also allows you to reboot the router without having to unplug it.
Maybe this will work for you.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
are willing to work and give to those who would not.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oliver.holmes.357
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

Thanks Bubba
― The Texican-PG-
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

They don't sell that router on Amazon any longer. Closest one is $155. Thanks though.
― The Texican-PG-
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

I like netgear too. But honestly. If you connect to one server and you get error, error, then 7mb. Then if you try a different server and get full speed, or almost. It sounds more like an ISP issue on one end or the other. Netgear makes some pretty good routers too. I do not recommend asus routers. I purchased two of them over the years and both are paper weights right now. I think the only issue with them is the latest google chrome doesn't like to login to them with a security change. But you can always use edge and firefox. I believe they are releasing firmware updates to address the issue.
The Texican-PG-
Squad Member
Squad Member

I was getting low speeds from several different sites. I tested several on east coast, west coast, ohio and locally too. each had low speed during each test
― The Texican-PG-
huntor
PrimeTech Administrator
PrimeTech Administrator

Post by huntor »

Oh okay. Well could still be your ISP or your junk ;-) If your ISP provides its own speed test (which is most reliable) you will be able to tell if it is your stuff or not. The 3rd party websites are always susceptible to bad network connections due to other providers as well as your ISP outskirt internet connections and the networks they subscribe to. If your cable modem is separate from your router you can always remove the router and connect your PC up directly to see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't then I would say your router is okay and it might have something odd to do with your modem. I would also recommend a netgear modem as well.

They have docsis 3.1 Multi-gig Cable modems now. You can also get them with voice now too if you need it.
The first two listed are to add more gig ports to your router for what used to be called shot gunning.
Where cable internet uses two WAN ports for faster speed. So if you have 2 gig internet. But your router only supports gig speed and it has two WAN ports for internet. You hook up two to get the two gigs to your router from your modem.
Below are modem only options and will require a separate router.
The CM1200 is the same price as the CM1000. If I had the choice I would pick the CM1200 as it is newer and you could hook up 4 to your router if it supported 4 1 gig wan ports ;-)

Netgear CM1200 (Newest Style) (4 port Gigabite Ethernet Ports
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=CM1200&i=ele ... nb_sb_noss

Netgear CM1100 (Newest Styel) (2 port Gigabite Ethernet Ports)
Can't find link on Amazon right now. Most likely out of stock.

Netgear CM1150v with Voice (1 Gigabite Port)
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthaw ... ics&sr=1-1

Netgear CM1000 (Older Style) (1 Gigabite Port)
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-download ... ics&sr=1-3
viiper

Post by viiper »

Is this a combo modem/router or standalone modem with router separate?

If combo, test your router to a local isp based speed test. If separate, test using only the modem to check connection.

Call the ISP and have them check. If they send a crew out, make sure they check the SNR ratio and it should be within normal parameters.
With the temps and weather you have, your node in the neighborhood or your wires to the house might need to be calibrated.